Description of this paper

Calculate the present value in each of the following cases. Show your work.

Description

solution


Question

Calculate the present value in each of the following cases. Show your work.;a.;You are negotiating a book deal for your newest novel in which an economist singlehandedly saves the world. The publisher offers to pay you an advance of $1 million today;plus $500,000 at the end of each of the next three years. What is the present value of these;payments, given your rate of discount of 5 percent?;b.;You counter the publishers offer with a counter-offer that will pay you $1.5 million today;plus $5 per book sold in each of the next three years. You think you will sell 80,000 books;each year in that period, but the publisher thinks you will only sell 40,000 books each year.;Explain why both you and the publisher like this offer better than the deal in part a.;2.;Julia is considering buying stock in only one of the following companies: (i) Uninvest.com;which runs a Web site geared toward older peoples retirement income and has a 10 percent;probability of returning 20 percent this year and a 90 percent probability of returning 7;percent, or (ii) Speculate, Inc., which invests in derivative securities and has a 50 percent;chance of returning 0 percent this year and a 50 percent chance of returning 50 percent.;a.;b.;c.;d.;What are the expected returns to investing in Uninvest and Speculate?;What are the standard deviations of the returns to Uninvest and Speculate?;If Julia is very risk-averse, which companys stock should she buy?;If Julia is risk-neutral (that is, she does not worry about risk at all), which companys stock;should she buy?;3.;Consider three alternative bonds that you might invest in, each of which matures in one;year. The following table shows the probability that you will receive each possible return.;For example, if you buy bond A, the probability is 90 percent that your return will be 20;percent and the probability is 10 percent that your return will be 100 percent (in other;words, you lose the entire amount invested).;Bond

 

Paper#25468 | Written in 18-Jul-2015

Price : $27
SiteLock