Homework Set 4
In this module, you will complete and submit your fourth homework set. This gives you the opportunity to assess your understanding of the important concepts presented in Chapters 13, 14, 15, and 16 of our textbook. Not only will this assignment help in your understanding of the key concepts, it will also help you prepare for the Final Exam and ultimately for the opportunity to sit for the accreditation exams offered by APICS and/or the Supply Chain Council. You should have started this assignment during Module 7, but you can to download it in case you have not yet begun.
Submit Homework Set 4 to the Dropboxno later than Thursday 11:59 PM EST/EDT. Name your Word document as follows: LastName_FirstName_MGT377_Homework_Set_4.
MGT 377 Homework Set 4
On this document, select the correct answer to each of the following 15 questions by making it into a bold and highlighted font and submit the completed assignment to the Dropbox no later than Thursday 11:59 PM EST/EDT of Module 8.
Here is an example of a correctly marked response:
Rain is an example of a __________.
1. __________ is often the most costly and time-consuming component of purchasing management.
2. __________ involves facilitating the movements of raw materials and component parts from suppliers through the firm’s manufacturing process to the ultimate customers.
C. Production management
D. Process management
3. The initial (transportation) decision requires the __________ firm to select the appropriate shipment mode.
4. Each of the (transportation) modes has specific operating and cost characteristics and the buying professional must weigh them in selecting the most appropriate transportation mode. The most basic selection decision is the trade-off between __________.
A. quality, flexibility, and price
B. cost, flexibility, and speed
C. flexibility, reliability, and speed
D. cost, reliability, and speed
E. efficiency, cost, and speed
5. In many cases, most Fortune 500 firms use a variety of transportation modes depending on their aggregate transportation needs. The “model split” is usually determined by cost pressures, the packaging, the final shipment destination, and competitive trucking firms.
6. Deregulation has allowed the railroad carriers to integrate into __________.
A. more competitive markets
B. other markets
C. other modes of transportation
D. more competitive rates
E. more diverse markets
7. __________ the trucking industry has dramatically changed not only the outcome of the industry but also how it operates.
A. Federal deregulation of
B. State regulation of
C. Competitive rates in
D. Centralized management of
E. State deregulation of
8. The __________ industry is composed of a large number of for-hire and private carriers. The for-hire category includes both regulated carriers and non-regulated carriers.
9. General commodity carriers usually specialize in either truckload (TL) or less-than-truckload (LTL) operations. Truckload shipments are defined by the ICC as loads in excess of 10,000 pounds. Currently, there are more than 40,000 small truckload carriers. These companies have been typically __________.
A. moderately priced and highly organized
B. low-cost and nonunion
C. low-cost and unionized
D. high priced and nonunion
E. reliable and low-cost
10. Another special ICC category is the parcel delivery service and limited shipment size category. __________ is the largest carrier in this sector.
11. Rail transportation is generally less expensive than air and truck modes. Rail cargo is usually shipped from terminal to terminal; therefore, flexibility is not an attribute.
12. The truck mode is used to transport a variety of perishable consumer goods, such as fresh meats, frozen meats, dairy products, baked goods, and beverages. The primary advantages of this mode are __________.
A. reliability and low cost
B. flexibility and versatility
C. low cost and versatility
D. flexibility and low cost
E. on time delivery and low cost
13. The competition in the trucking industry is fierce, so in order to be successful, a carrier must provide the shipper with __________.
A. low costs and flexibility
B. reliability and high service
C. versatility and flexibility
D. high service and low costs
E. reliability and low costs
14. These average prices are misleading when selecting one mode over another. However, it is safe to suggest that, in general, __________ rates are lower than __________ rates on small shipments and on high-valued commodities.
A. air; truck
B. water; rail
C. truck; rail
D. truck; water
E. air; rail
15. In contrast, in long-haul volume movements of bulk commodities, __________ are typically unable to quote __________ rates.
A. air carriers; motor-competitive
B. water carriers; air-competitive
C. truckers; air-competitive
D. motor carriers; rail-competitive
E. rail carriers; truck-competitive
Paper#46196 | Written in 16-Dec-2015Price : $14